Monday 22 October 2012

Blocking...

I have been flexing my crochet muscles over the last few days, as I love winter woollies, and figured my little one and I needed some of the cute winter scarfs I've been seeing online, with the chunky buttons to make them cowl like.  
 We're aiming for something a bit like this:



Button scarf
Cute- love that button.



So, after a bit of work with this:



Patons, super duper chunky yarn (not it's official name)

I managed to make myself a funny oblong shape (using JennOzcans tutorial/directions, as it suggested it was a "softer" way to crochet).  This is currently being "blocked" to try and soften and square it out a bit.
All squared out and flattened
This is the first time I've tried this technique, and it involves pinning the crochet out to stop the edges curling in, and hovering a steaming iron over NOT ON the crocheting, until you've made it all a bit damp.  As it dries (thoroughly) it holds the flattened out position, and this is supposed to make it drape better.  It feels a bit softer as it's drying, so I'll see how it works out later.

I have also made a pink and gray

Pink

Soft gray
 












lightly striped version for my mini me.  She insisted on pink, so I made sure it was a softer pink, not vomit pink, to hurt my eyes, as so many little girls things tend to be.  I just have a couple of rows to finish it off, and then it needs blocking, once I see if how it works on the other one.

I'll update once these are finished, which will hopefully be in the next couple of days, although, I have a few projects on the go, as always.  I think I could do with some really large buttons to make them, but I'll have to see how my bigish ones work out!

Ange x 

3 comments:

  1. I need a scarf just like the top picture, and I love the huge button. Good luck with the blocking. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned a lot here as I have never heard of 'blockind' before. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That button is absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments, so go ahead, say something, it really makes my day.......