Saturday 20 October 2012

Hexy Hand Quilting Style...

Now, this image isn't very exciting, I accept that, but this was my attempt last night to try and decide how to hand quilt the rather large Hexy quilt I've hand sewn together (over the last, nearly, 2 years).

Hexy Quilting Doodles
Now the colours aren't necessarily chosen yet, but I think I've decided to go with the chevrons vertically, alternating with a running stitch across the middle of the horizontals (see the right of the picture).  I think I'll do some testing with the Perle cottons I've ordered online, and see how it looks and if I like the effect- I don't want to lose the hexagon shape I've spent SO much time working on.  Hmmm, we'll see how it goes.  

The other question is colours, do I go variegated, solids or white perle??  I can see there is going to be lots of some procrastination on this one, and I really want it to get finished before the end of the year, just 10 weeks, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

How do you decide to machine/hand quilt?  Any great sources of inspiration?  Does anyone use a great computer package, Electric Quilt seems really expensive, is there a cheap, good alternative?  I dipped my toe in the world of Quilt Assistant, but it wasn't that user friendly, or am i just a technophobe!?!  I know there's Touchdraw, but I think that's just for Ipad (don't have) or Mac (don't have!), and they're not part of my budget plans!!

Ange x

4 comments:

  1. I'm not great at quilting so have no advice but I tend to 'feel' what needs to be done. Your idea for the ex agony is a good one. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typed * hexagons but it got changed. Grrrrgh x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your choice of pattern- being the impatient person I am I think I would machine stitch it though. Variegated thread might be a nice twist- I've never considered using it before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Chevron pattern, it reminds me of Blockbusters!!! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments, so go ahead, say something, it really makes my day.......